Improving Inhaler Technique Through Community Pharmacy
This service is commissioned by GMHSCP. Relaunched April 2021 following an Expression of Interest.
Please see the CHL website for key changes.
See our guide: Inhaler Relaunch Information Guide
Below you will find links to a range of documents to support service delivery in your pharmacy
(Please Note: This is a template SOP which you can adapt for use in your particular pharmacy. It should be reviewed in conjunction with the service specification) agreed and signed off by your pharmacy superintendent before implementation. Pharmacists providing the service must be familiar with the service specification before providing the service)
PSNC: Video Conferencing
Documents and Resources To Support Delivery
CPD modules from CPPE. Various e-modules are available to support Declaration of Competence, including:
- CPPE – Inhaler Technique for Health Professionals: https://www.cppe.ac.uk/programmes/l/inhalers-e-02/
CPD modules from Primary Care Respiratory Academy
These CPD e-modules from the Primary Care Respiratory Academy will help support Declaration of Competence. You can access them all at http://www.respiratoryacademy.co.uk/clinical-resources/cpd-modules/ and they cover: Inhaler devices; Supported self-management in COPD; Management of comorbidities in asthma; Management of comorbidities in COPD; Smoking cessation; Spirometry; Acute exacerbations of COPD; Supported asthma self-management; Childhood wheeze; and The value of tests in respiratory disease.
The Primary Care Respiratory Academy has been developed and produced by Cogora, working in partnership with the Primary Care Respiratory Society UK (PCRS-UK) with endorsement from the British Lung Foundation. Cogora publish Pulse, Nursing in Practice and Healthcare Leader. The initiative is supported by funding from Pfizer, on behalf of the Novartis-Pfizer Alliance, and from Napp Pharmaceuticals.
- Asthma UK Resources: https://www.asthma.org.uk
- Smokefree: https://www.nhs.uk/smokefree
- Cancer Research UK: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org.uk
- Be Clear on Cancer: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/early-diagnosis-activities/be-clear-on-cancer
- NICE Clinical Knowledge Summary – Asthma http://cks.nice.org.uk/asthma
- NICE Clinical Knowledge Summary – COPD http://cks.nice.org.uk/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease
- BTS Guidance – Asthma https://www.brit-thoracic.org.uk/standards-of-care/guidelines/btssign-british-guideline-on-the-management-of-asthma/
- GOLD COPD guidance https://goldcopd.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/GOLD-2019-v1.7-FINAL-14Nov2018-WMS.pd
- British Lung Foundation: https://www.blf.org.uk/
- GM stop smoking website:https://www.gmhealthhub.org/smoking
- GMMMG: http://gmmmg.nhs.uk/